Sometimes sentences have both a main clause, a clause that is able to stand on its own, and a relative clause, a clause that explains or gives information about the main clause.
Main clause Relative clause
He's the actor who won two Academy Awards.
*A relative clause joins two sentences together.*
There are three possible relative clauses:
1. who: used in reference to people
2. which: used in reference to things
3. that: used in reference to people and things
Who is Daniel Radcliffe?
He is an actor who portrayed Harry Potter in the Harry Potter films.
Have you seen Hulk?
Oh, that is a movie which stars a big green superhero, right?
Is Pirates of the Caribbean any good?
It is a movie that has many wonderful actors.
Johnny Depp is an actor that is so good as Captain Jack Sparrow.
Now you practice!
1. Freddy Mercury was a singer. He was the lead singer of "Queen."
2. Fast and the Furious is a movie. It is liked by many students.
3. Life is Beautiful is a movie about WWII. It has won many awards.
4. Lady Gaga is a singer. She wears bizarre clothes.
5. Modern Family is a TV show. It is hilarious.
6. Michael Jordan was a basketball player. He won six championships.
7. The Notebook is a book by Nicholas Sparks. It was made into a movie.
8. The Diary of Anne Frank is a sad book. It has become one of the highest-selling books of all time.
9. Twilight is a popular book. It is horrible.
10. Natalie Portman is an actress. She won an Oscar for her role in Black Swan.
1. Brad Pitt is an actor...
2. Angelina Jolie is an actress...
3. Daddy Yankee is a rapper...
4. Rihanna is a singer...
5. Shrek is a movie...
6. The Simpsons is a TV show...
7. Barcelona is a city...
8. Real Madrid is a soccer team...
9. Goblins (Duendes) are creatures...
10. Coke is a drink...